Parish Details for East Looe
Looe is on the south coast of Cornwall. It was created from parts of Talland and St Martin parishes in 1709. There are actually two towns, East and West Looe, divided by the estuary of the Looe River and connected by a bridge of nine arches built in 1853. The ancient towns of East and West Looe are situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. They are bordered by Duloe and Morval to the north, St Martins to the east, the ocean to the south and Talland to the west. East Looe is the larger of the two towns. West Looe was originally named Port Bigham. The first known mention of West Looe is in a document dated 1327. When Talland civil parish was abolished in 1934, the area was distributed between Looe and Lansallos parishes.