Parish Details for Launceston - St Mary Magdalene

Launceston - St Mary Magdalene

Launceston St Mary Magdalene, including the ancient borough of Launceston, is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of East. It is bordered by St Thomas and St Stephens to the north, Lawhitton to the east, South Petherwin to the south and South Petherwin and St Thomas to the west. Launceston is the ancient capital of Cornwall and holder of several Royal Charters. The town provided the only crossing points of the River Tamar for many centuries as revealed by several impressive arch bridges, all of which date back to the 15th century or earlier. Launceston lies right on the Cornwall-Devon border. Bodmin Moor lies to the west, the rugged Atlantic Coast to the north and Dartmoor and the tranquil River Tamar to the east. The Borough sent two members to Parliament from 1294. It was incorporated in 1555 with the Corporation consisting of a Mayor, eight Aldermen and a Recorder. Under the Reform Act of 1832, the Borough lost one of its MPs. The ancient castle served as the county prison until the new County Gaol was built in Bodmin.

Code Description Format Price

A4793

Pre Civil Registration Marriages

1559-1837

CD

£5.65

Add to Basket >

A4793

Pre Civil Registration Marriages

1559-1837

PDF

£5.65

Add to Basket >

B1990

Burials 1813-1837

CD

£2.55

Add to Basket >

B3866

Burials 1813-1837

Book

£2.05

Add to Basket >

< Back to parish list

Shopping Basket

Basket is currently empty.

Be notified of page updates

it's private
powered by ChangeDetection