Parish Details for Redruth St Andrew
Redruth St Andrew is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bordered by Illogan and St Agnes to the north, Gwennap to the east, Gwennap and Illogan to the south and Illogan to the west. The parish was created in 1884 when the original parish of Redruth, based upon St Uny's church, was divided in two to serve a vastly increasing population. In the past, the town of Redruth and its neighbour, Camborne, served the important areas of tin mining in South West Cornwall. There has been a long tradition of rivalry between the two towns. In the early days of mining, Redruth thought it was a cut above Camborne because it was the place where the better classes lived.